(Editors note: Release written by Ruth Nicolaus / Last Chance Stampede)
HELENA — One of the newest members of the Pro Rodeo Cowboys Association took the lead in the saddle bronc riding at the 59th annual Last Chance Stampede in Helena.
Kade Bruno, who graduated from Challis (Idaho) High School two months ago, scored 84.5 points on the Kesler Rodeo horse Break Away.
Bruno knew he was getting on a good horse. “My buddy Joe Harper had been on her, so I was pretty excited to have drawn her,” he said. The ride “just kind of all fell together.”
The eighteen year old cowboy has just returned from the National High School Finals Rodeo in Rock Springs, Wyoming, where he competed in the saddle bronc and bull riding, finishing second in the bull riding for the nation. He also steer wrestles in high school, but of his three events, saddle bronc riding is his strength.
Helena is only his third pro rodeo, and he’s won money at the first two: fourth place at Nephi, Utah earlier this month and first at Ontario, Oregon last night.
This fall, he will attend Northwest College in Powell, Mont., on a rodeo scholarship, where he will compete in all three of his events. Bruno plans on earning an ag business degree and will continue his pro rodeo career after graduation.
In high school, Bruno won the Idaho High School Rodeo Association saddle bronc riding title twice, in 2017 and 2019, and finished as reserve champion in 2018, his junior year.
After two nights of the Last Chance Stampede, the bulls are winning.
Out of seventeen bull riders, only two have made the eight second buzzer, and the man leading the event rode tonight.
Jordan Hansen, Ponoka, Alb., made an 83 point ride on the Kesler Rodeo bull Goose Bump.
The 25-year-old cowboy is ranked twenty-ninth in the world standings, and competed at the 2017 Wrangler National Finals Rodeo. He won the Last Chance Stampede two years ago.
Other high scores and fast times from tonight’s performance and slack from last night include bareback rider Mason Clements, Draper, Utah (87 points); steer wrestler Jake Nelson, Belgrade, Mont. (3.8 seconds); team ropers Shawn Bessette, Great Falls, Mont. and Ike Folsom, Dillon, Mont. (4.7 seconds); tie-down roper Reese Riemer, Stinnett, Texas (8.7 seconds); and barrel racer Dona Kay Rule, Minco, Okla. (17.44 seconds).
The final night of the 59th annual Last Chance Stampede takes place on Sat., August 27 beginning at 7:30 pm. The night will honor 4-H youth. Tickets are $23 and all seats are reserved. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit www.LastChanceStampede.com. [lastchancestampede.com.] Tickets can also be purchased at the gate.
Fast times/high scores from the second performance and slack of the 59th annual Last Chance Stampede, Helena, July 26, 2019
1. Mason Clements, Draper, Utah 87 points on Kesler Championship Rodeo’s Candy Smile; 2. Trenton Montero, Winnemucca, Nev. 82; 3. Skyler Erickson, Powell, Wyo. 81; 4. Caleb Bennett, Corvallis, Mont. 80.5.
1. Jake Nelson, Belgrade, Mont. 3.8 seconds; 2. Stetson Jorgensen, Blackfoot, Idaho 4.0; 3.Curtis Cassidy, Donalda, Alb. 4.1; 4. (tie) Hank Hollenbeck, Molt, Mont. and Blake Knowles, Heppner, Ore. 4.2 each.
1. Shawn Bessette, Great Falls, Mont./Ike Folsom, Dillon, Mont. 4.7 seconds; 2. Garrett Rogers, Baker City, Ore./Jake Minor, Ellensburg, Wash. 5.1; 3.. Jr Dees, Aurora, S.D./Lane Siggins, Coolidge, Ariz. 5.4; 4. Colby Oliver, Worden, Mont./Jacob Goddard, Lake Placid, Fla. 6.2.
Saddle bronc riding
1. Kade Bruno, Challis, Idaho 84.5 points on Kesler Rodeo’s Break Away; 2. Joe Harper, Paradise Valley, Nev. 82.5; 3. Allen Boore, Axtell, Utah 81.5; 4. Alan Gobert, Browning, Mont. 75.
1. Reese Riemer, Stinnett, Texas 8.7 seconds; 2. Landon Williams, Helena, Mont. 9.4; 3. Shane Hanchey, Sulphur, La. 9.6; 4.Bode Scott, Custer, Mont. 9.8;
1.Dona Kay Rule, Minco, Okla. 17.44 seconds; 2. Shai McDonald, Gardiner, Mont. 17.66; 3. Heidi Schmid, Kalispell, Mont. 17.76; 4. Valee Miller, Billings, Mont. 17.81.
1. Jordan Hansen, Ponoka, Alb. 83 points on Kesler Rodeo’s Goose Bumps; no other qualified rides.
** All results are unofficial. Visit Prorodeo.com [wildbillhickokrodeo.com] for results and www.LastChanceStampede.com [lastchancestampede.com] for fair and rodeo information.